Thursday, May 10, 2007

Introductions



Welcome to the blog for my online English 264 course: Survey of English Literature, Romantics to Moderns. Although I have taught the course 24 times over my years at Mercer in a traditional, face-to-face classroom setting, I am still relatively new to teaching it (or any other course) online, having taught my first section last summer. That experiment seemed successful enough to repeat this summer. I look forward to this course, and I am glad you are part of it.

During this summer session, I will use the blog to convey information about the class and about the readings and assignments. I will also use it to suggest discussion questions you may wish to pursue in your own blog for this course.

That's right, you will be setting up and maintaining your own blog for this course, too! Let me reassure you that it is easy; there are instructions on our course's web site and WebCT page. On your blog you will analyze and discuss the readings. I also want you to read and comment on the blogs of your classmates. In this way I hope to emulate the classroom discussion that is a large part of the face-to-face English 264 course.

6 comments:

Sherry Reddick said...

Dr. Glance,
I have not done this before and I am having difficulty finding the blog that I set up.
Any suggestions?
Sherry Reddick
usafap@mac.com

kyle mcnease said...

Dr. Glance,

I think what you are doing with this class is very exciting! You seem to be building a bridge that connects us "ole pen and paper" english students to the modern means and modalities for expression. Kudos!

Kyle McNease

Caitlin said...

Dr. Glance,

I think I have successfully created a blog at http://caitlinpumpelly.blogspot.com

Please let me know if I have not done this correctly.

Thanks,
Caitlin Pumpelly

Adamssd said...

Testing this to see if it works.

Adamssd said...

I'm a first timer so i'm a little confused on some things, but I look forward to learning in an online environment.

Jennifer said...

Hello, My name is Jennifer Merriweather and this is my first online class at Mercer University. I was under the impression that this would be on the blackboard...something I am familiar with,so I am having some difficulties...I need help...I'm sort feeling my way. This is very interesting so I am determined to make it work for me!